My research interests are in the following areas:
- Variation and change in contemporary English, especially the Englishes of East Anglia, the South of England, the Southern Hemisphere (esp. New Zealand, Australia and the Falkland Islands) and Micronesia, as well as lesser-known varieties of English;
- The dialectological consequences of geographical mobility, especially dialect contact, dialect accommodation, diffusion, supralocalisation, second dialect acquisition, koineisation and new dialect formation;
- The dialectology – human geography interface, especially with respect to mobility, isolation and the urban-rural dichotomy;
- Language variation 'on the move': mobile methods in variationist sociolinguistics and the effects of walking, driving, travelling on variation;
- Language ideologies as they relate to non-standard dialects;
- Language and dialect obsolescence.
- Dialectological data collection using mobile phone apps.